Re: NTFS recovery -- "INSERT" CD (Rescue Toolkit)

On Wed, 2005-10-19 at 09:25 -0500, Bryan J. Smith wrote:
> I'm not sure if the "Captive" user-space driver for Linux can safely
> read the registry/SAM and recover.  But since it's a user-space driver,
> it would be dog slow anyway.  It's best to try to define the NTFS
> filesystem's boundaries, and then get a dd image of that.  Then put it
> on another disk and attempt to see it boot and run CHKDSK.

In case you've never heard of Captive, the INSERT CD includes it:
  http://www.inside-security.de/insert_en.html

Although it will require you to have a readable NTFS filesystem to get
the NTFS filesystem drivers (as well as access the registry).

But there are "Disaster Recovery" tools on the INSERT CD.  This inclues
testdisk and recover that might be helpful in recovering the partition
table to a point -- assuming the NTFS filesystem is still intact.

--
Bryan J. Smith     b.j.smith@ieee.org     http://thebs413.blogspot.com