Re: Netbeui? -- don't ...

"L. V. Lammert" <lvl@omnitec.net> wrote:
> Here's a good question for the tekkie crowd! Samba supports
> NetBios over TCP/IP very well, .. but some old Windoze
> systems we support do NOT run TCP/IP (nor are they capable,
> for a variety of reasons).

Ummm, even old Windows NT 3.1 supports NetBIOS over TCP/IP.
Heck, Windows for Workgroups 3.11 does too.

What version are you running?  LAN Manager for DOS?  ;->

> Has anyone ever heard of a NetBios "stack" <?> (as opposed
> to tunneling NetBios over TCP/IP)?

Yes, a company released a NetBEUI stack for Linux as GPL
about 5 years ago.  And yes, Samba can use it.

But _never_ run both NetBEUI and TCP/IP on the same network.
You will run into announcement and "Browse List *HELL*"

I highly recommend _against_ running NetBEUI and TCP/IP on
the same network, because it will force you to manually bind
different protocols to different services on each and every
system.

mailto:b.j.smith@ieee.org     |  (please excuse any