Re: Round two mPlayer

On Thu, 2005-10-06 at 02:53 -0500, Brian Keefe wrote:
> Ok, I'd like to take a second run at this.
>
> Here's my Linux/Firefox/video problem.
>
> I have a Thinkpad A31p.  I have fedora core 4 installed.  Firefox
> installed.  mPlayer installed.  All are patched up to date.  I have
> RTFMed to the best of my ability.  I want the video player to work.  I
> would like mPlayer to be that working software package.
>
> I have players that show video but don't play the sound.  I have players
> that play the sound but not the video.  I have players that do neither.
> I have NO player that plays both sound and video reliably.
>
> Here is what I would like to do.  I would like to remove all video
> players except mplayer.  I would like mplayer to actually work.  To me
> that means when I click on a video link in Firefox, mplayer starts and
> plays the video and sound for the file.  It means that if I launch
> mplayer independently and then open a video file, it actually plays with
> both video and sound.
>
> And just for some troll/flamebait to see if I could get any response,
> here I am trying to come back over to Linux after many years in Windows
> and I find that there are many wannabe video applications but not one
> actually works.  I have been out to websites until my eyes are bleeding
> and have fiddled with configs until my fingers hurt.  Still no workee.
>
> How's Linux going to win (pun intended) that way
>
> Windows Media player works like a champ.  I don't want t continue dual
> booting.  I'd like to have my disk be all Linux.
>
> Thanks for taking the time to read this even if you don't respond.

Brian,

Your problem may be in alsamixer.  Here's how I fixed the sound on my
A22p ThinkPad with FC4. It worked fine under FC3, but not at all since I
installed FC4.

1) In an Gnome terminal run
   $ alsamixer
2) Arrow all the way to the <External> amplifier position
3) Press the "m" key until the [OO] box toggles to [MM]
4) Press ESC to quit alsamixer

5) Right click on the sound icon on the toolbar's far upper right corner
6) Select Open Volume Control
7) In the Alsa Mixer GUI click on the Capture tab and move the bottom
slider all the way to the right so you can see the ADC and DAC controls
8) If they're at zero, move them to the top and close

I'm not quite sure why it's necessary to use both the text and GUI
versions of the ALSA mixer, but this sequence restored full sound to my
ThinkPad.

-- Doc
Robert G. (Doc) Savage, BSE(EE), CISSP, RHCE | Fairview Heights, IL
Fedora Core 4 kernel 2.6.13-1.1526_FC4 on a P-III/M IBM Thinkpad A22p
            ** Bob Costas for Baseball Commissioner **