Re: Gnome's dependence on networking...

On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 18:55:14 +0000, Ken Keefe <kaje@digitalfamily.org> wrote:
> I am not sure if this is X or Gnome or Fedora's fault, but I have
> noticed a very annoying problem on my system. If I start my system up,
> log into gnome, do a little work, and then change the networking by
> unplugging the network cable or changing the hostname some how, Gnome (I
> think) begins to have all sorts of trouble. The system sometimes locks
> up and graphical applications won't start up.

Hi Ken:

 It's not RedHat. I get similar things in OpenBSD and FreeBSD. Certain
GTK apps open very slowly. Here is what I observed with Xfce:

I do a netstat -n -f inet and get:
Active Internet connections
Proto Recv-Q Send-Q  Local Address          Foreign Address        (state)
udp4       0      0  12.73.168.202.53478    12.102.240.2.53

I then did a sockstat -4 and I see this:
$ sockstat -4
USER     COMMAND    PID   FD PROTO  LOCAL ADDRESS         FOREIGN ADDRESS
xfce     xfce4-sess 1011  15 udp4   12.73.173.233:62336   12.102.240.2:53
root     syslogd    273   6  udp4   *:514                 *:*

So it looks like xfce4-session is trying to find a domain name server?
/etc/services shows that port 53 is for name servers (I am presuming
the foreign host has the same convention)

Xfce uses GTK and Gnome components. My difficulty is that I don't have
static IP addresses. My ISP, AT&T, also rewrites my resolv.conf with
each new dial out. I have a different domain name server each time I
dial out and connect. There must be like 12 of them. The same thing
applies for WiFi. Depending on what coffee shop I go to, I get a
different DNS and lease each time.

  I may try Bryan Smith's suggestion of using something similar to
nscd. There is no nscd in OpenBSD.