Re: Did I stump the band?

On Sunday, Mar 27, 2005, at 23:49 US/Central, Robert G. (Doc) Savage
wrote:
> ... with my question about parted? It's rare to get no responses at
> all.

It's a holiday.  Sort of.  Been spending the day doing Spring cleaning
and minor repairs around the house.

> Has anyone on this list actually used parted before, successfully or
> otherwise?

I've used parted before quite successfully to resize and move
partitions.  Unlike fdisk, it writes changes right away, a feature I
don't care for.  From looking over your previous e-mail, it looks as
though you've got the specs right.

Personally, I'd get more familiar with parted before using it by
practicing on a spare disk, especially if this is the first time you've
used parted.  It does things a little differently than fdisk, et al.  I
also recommend using qtparted.  It has a nice GUI interface, allows you
to review your changes before committing them, and is available on
Knoppix 3.6 (K > System > Qtparted).

Resizing the partition does not necessarily resize the filesystem on
that partition.  I don't recall if parted automatically resizes the
filesystem or not.  So you may have to run resize2fs after you've
expanded your partition.  I do know that qtparted resized NTFS
partitions on WinXP-Pro just fine.  Again, I recommend experimenting
with a spare disk to get more familiar with parted/qtparted.

Oh, and make a backup of your original data ... just in case.

>  If not, I'll go ahead and ask the nahant-list.

I'd ask there, too, anyways: