Re: serial ata

    The current SATA controllers are pulling 150MB/sec, not to be
confused with Mb, which is something else, and really only matters in
the realm of programming. This is why I've always thought modern network
speeds should be rated in B not b.
    Typically, like Bryan was getting at, if you monitor the actual
transfer rate of a serial ATA drive, you will find that they don't put
out more than 70MB/sec. So they don't even saturate half of the current
spec. But in real-world application there are quite a few minor benefits
to SATA that are worth it if you are either building a new computer or
replacing an old drive. Most noticeably is the sustained transfer, which
is nuts. Formatting a drive takes a matter of seconds, usually. This is
faster in Windows than in Linux. I never understood why. Also,
installing software goes faster. Another example of a sustained
transfer. I myself wish that the company I worked for had the dough to
do away with PATA altogether, because as a system builder, SATA can
shave a serious amount of time off of the process.
    And to answer your other question... max number of drives per
controller is 16 if your controller has 16 ports. Like Bryan said before
though, most controllers have 2-4 ports. A 16-port controller will be
either found in a server motherboard, or on an expansion card.
Personally, I like the idea of having the controller directly on the
motherboard, since then the main bus can address the SATA bus directly,
or at least through a bridge, rather than passing through PCI.
-Aaron Kenney