Re: Linux filesystems

> From: Steven Pritchard <steve@silug.org>
> Date: 2004/03/24 Wed AM 11:44:35 CST

> are only used on boot-up, etc.)  And to top it all off, if an
> administrator decides to lock down a Windows box, things are likely to
> break in big ways since most Windows apps (including ones from M$)
> have *no* understanding of how to work with filesystem-level security
> enabled in any way.

Speaking from experience, you CAN lock down the filesystem so that
Windows is secure, even from itself!  I once followed the NSA guide
for securing Windows NT, and about half way through, the system
broke.  We're talking format-the-drives-and-reinstall broke...

> In other words, NTFS could be the most advanced filesystem ever, and
> it wouldn't help Windows security one bit.

And that's because, as demonstrated by the "linux password recovery boot
disk for NT", ACLs only count if the driver respects them.  Just as you
can write a driver that ignore NTFS ACLs, you can also write a driver that
ignores UNIX file permission bits...

Now, myself, speaking as an (woefully over-) experienced Windows admin,
with a decent amount of Unix experience, I was always more comfortable
with NTFS ACLs when dealing with user access (least permissive
wins)...

> Steve

William

--