Re: Linux filesystems

On Wednesday, March 24, 2004, at 10:44  AM, Roger_Hill@May-Co.com wrote:
> Which type of filesystems are better ? Windows NTFS or Linux's ?

What metric are you using to quantify "better"?

> Someone (a Windows NT person) stated that NTFS is a much more
> secure file system, has more control (ACL's)

How are you measuring "more secure"?  Size of ACL's?

As an anecdote, we had an NT server using NTFS go down about a year
ago.  After struggling and failing to get the NT machine up, we booted
with Knoppix, mounted the NTFS partition read-only, and were able to
copy all of the data over the LAN to a working NT machine.  All those
ACLs in NTFS didn't stop us from getting to the data, which in our case
was a good thing.

In short, you cannot evaluate the security of a filesystem without
considering the operating system.

Regards,
- Robert