Those Pesky Module Paths

All of the following occurred in an x-term session.

I downloaded, untarred, configured and made (but did *not*
make-install) the XFce3 source file.  I did this to obtain one
specific application: xftree.

As an unpriviliged user, I can copy xftree from /usr/src/xfce3/xftree/
into any folder on my computer, do "./xftree," and xftree launches.

As root, I can copy xftree into any folder on my computer, do
"./xftree," and xftree launches *and* returns the warning message
"Unable to locate loadable module in module path: 'libxfce.so.'"

The module does exist in one of the folders under /usr/src/xfce3/.  I
tried putting it in the same folder as xftree, but xftree didn't see
it.  I tried putting xftree in /usr/local/bin/ *and* putting the
module in /usr/local/lib, but still no joy.

How do I determine what is the correct module path without doing a
make-install? Is there a makefile that I can read through that will
show me the target folders?

Else, how does one pass module location to a binary in a BASH startup
script?

Thanks,
- Harold