Re: samba silliness

> Running redhat 6 on a machine ...

Perhaps a more recent version from this millenium? Say RH9?
Just curious as to the compelling reason you can't upgrade
(or switch distros if newer RHs are not HW-compatible).

> ... that's connected directly to a windows ME
> computer.

Directly? Are you using a HUB or do you have a proper crossover cable?

> Can connect to the samba share through the RH box ...

So you can connect to the RH box from itself?
I don't think that test proves anything.
A 'ps -ef | grep smbd' is roughly equivalent for informational value here.

> but can't connect to it using a the Windows box.

Ah. See "cabling problem" referred to above. If you don't know what
a crossover cable is, you have to use two cables and a hub. Direct
connections of 10baseT require a "crossover" cable, which "crosses over"
the receive (RX) and transmit (TX) wires. A hub does this, so for that
you use off-the-shelf cabling or "straight through". This is technical
mumbo-jumbo jargon for describing in mind-numbing detail which wires
on one end connect to which wires on the other end of your cable.

If the cabling is okey-dokey, can you run the "telnet" program
(or better yet, go download "PuTTY" and use its SSH features to SSH into the
RH box. You will need to have the SSH service (sshd) running on the RH box.
Try 'service sshd start'. You may have to generate your keys first. Time
to read up on setting up SSH (sshd.conf). Trust me, you'll like it.

If you cannot telnet or ssh to the RH box from the Winbloze box, then
the problem isn't Samba, but your networking. Go back over your IP assignments,
default routes, netmasks, etc. The command 'ifconfig -a' will show you how the
RH box is configured. On Windows, I think it's 'winipcfg'.

If you've proven that the networking is OK, maybe you could post your
smb.conf file and network configs. You'll need to describe the Windows
box exactly - i.e. Win 95, 98, NT, 2K, XP, ME, etc. and what security model
you are running - a domain (where's the domain controller) or workgroup.

I highly recommend some of the books on Samba. I like these two:

* Samba: Integrating UNIX and Windows, by John D. Blair, ISBN 1-57831-006-7
  Somewhat dated, but a good technical read on the difficulties with
  the older systems and mixed NT/95/WFW era.

* Using Samba, 2nd ed., by Eckstein, Collier-Brown, and Kelly,
  ISBN 1-56592-449-5
  http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/samba/chapter/book/indexpdf.html
  http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/samba2/
  (PDF available free online)