Re: system monitoring software

On Tue, 22 Oct 2002 08:43:08 -0500 (CDT)
 fiaid@quasi-sane.com wrote:
>hey all,
>	i was wondering if anyone has any system monitoring/system
>performance monitoring tools that they have fallen in love with.  we are
You know what? I freaking HATE monitoring software, but it's only because
usually it's being shoved down my neck by someone who's not happy with their
lack of control of my servers. Like right now, I'm on a DoD contract, and we
were asked to evaluate NetIQ AppManager. Well, you know that when they say
"evaluate this, and let us know what you think about it," they really mean
"Hey, we want you to implement this total crap software, so play with it a
little, so you'll be used to it."

  Not that NetIQ is bad, just that it's not all it's marketed as.  But, are
any of them?

>running a mixture or Big Brother and Orca on the machines now, but the
>configuration is all messed up and rather than fix it I wanna scrap it.
I have been wanting, for some time now, to build an open source project of
this type, perhaps in Perl.  I just wish I had the time and skills
necessary...

>So does anyone have any recommendations?
Sorry, but I've not had any perfect experiences with any that I have exposure
to.

>tighe
William

P.S.
Sorry about the double send, I blame the webmail interface, and my lack of
sleep.
w.u.

--
William Underwood