Re: @home

I understand that, but if you set up DNS somewhere (like with me), it's
not going to do any good if the world doesn't know who your DNS provider
is. Just setting up DNS somewhere doesn't tell the world where you are.
You have to tell the registrar "where your IP info lives". Think of it
like this:

World = World
US Government = Registrar
SS Administration = DNS Server
Social Security # = IP address

Say you have a change in your social security number. The SSA has to make
the change, but the US government has to authorize the SSA "power" to make
changes like that, else the rest of the world doesn't recognize your SS#.
So, the world queries the registrar as to who your DNS server is. If you
are changing your DNS server, you have to tell your registrar.

Your IP address is owned by @home. Unless they delegated that IP address
(and its reverse DNS) to you, you cannot change the DNS server for the
@home address, because you don't own it. (Even if it is connected to your
PC).

I'm sorry if I'm confusing information, or confusing you. But, I don't
think there's anything you can do about it, unless MediaOne can change the
DNS server delegation. You might be screwed.

-Kara