Me again

Mandrake 7.2

When I boot up, log in as root and do a netstat -rn, it tells
me that the only thing in my route table is lo 127.0.0.1

I do a      ifconfig eth0 xxx.xx.xxx.xx to set my eth0 address
to what I have been staticly assigned by the ISP
(ADSL connection)

I do a route add default gw .xxx.xxx.xx.xx to set the default
route.  I do not restart network with     /etc/rc.d/init.d/network restart
I can now connect to the Internet.

I shut down the computer,  re-boot, do a netstat -rn and
I'm back with only  127.0.0.1 as the only entry in the
route table and can no longer connect to the Internet.
How do I keep the route settings between boots?

Everett