I'm on, ole'

I'm not quite sure how but I'm on the Internet.  I was using Control Panel
in the Red Hat System menu.  When I tried to activate changes, it reported
lpd not configured, do you want to configure it?  I clicked yes and what
looked like the old linuxconfig program came up.  The only thing I changed
was to delete network mask.  After saving the changes I did a
/etc/rc.d/init.d/network restart    pinged the IP gateway and it worked.
Sure wish I knew why.  Oh well, I'm on and thanks everyone for your input.

Everett