(hopefully simple) sendmail question

I'm having problems with sendmail.

I loaded RH Linux 6.2 to one of my machines.  Then I added a user called
"Charlie" to the system.

I decided to try the "mail" command.  For some reason, I am unable to "mail
Charlie".  The mail command tells me:
	Charlie... User unknown
	/root/dead.letter... Saved message in /root/dead.letter

It's the same for any other user I add to the system.

The user Charlie can send mail to root.  But, if root tries to reply to it (via
the "r" command), I get the same "user unknown" message as above.

I tried "sendmail -bv Charlie" and it indicated that Charlie is an invalid user.
Hey, I can take a hint!  8-)

Do I need to put "Charlie" in a file to tell sendmail that he is a valid user?

Thanks a heap,
Charlie