logging in as root via telnet

I'm running RedHat 7.0 and 6.2 on two boxes at home on a secure network.

I often telnet between the two machines.  My problem: for some reason, it won't
let me log in as "root" when I telnet.  I have to log in as some ordinary user
and then "su".

Is there any way to tell it to be a bit more trusting and let me log in as root?
I read the article on RedHat's web site and it tells me to edit /etc/securetty
and add:
pty1
pty2

... but that doesn't work.