Re: Certification

On Wed, 25 Oct 2000, Steven Pritchard wrote:

> Oh, so a small company that knows they need a router guy should
> already have an expert router guy on staff to interview the person
> they want to hire?  Don't you see the chicken-and-egg problem here?

Ok, so maybe that came out wrong.  It was implied that the person doing
the interview may not have exact knowledge of the field (Hiring me to do
embedded linux, and the person doinf the hiring doesn't really know about
embedded linux but he knows about other embedded products) but they know
what they are doing and what skills/personality is needed for the job.

> And, let's face it, the hiring practices of a lot of larger companies
> leave a *lot* to be desired...

Yeah, very much so.

> Look, I'm not trying to say that certification is more important than
> experience.  I'm just saying that certification is not *worthless*.
> There is value in it.

I see certification as something that means more as you gain more
experience.  Too many times I've talked to inexperienced people with that
piece of paper, just to find out that they are just as clueless as the
people with only 6 months to a year experience.  To me those two people
are equal and that paper lends no merit.  And then we have you who has no
degree, no certification but a dumpload of experience.  Now if I was given
the option of hiring the guy with 1-2 yrs experience with a degree from a
4 year university or you I would hire you.  You are the epitomy of my
arguement.

> Ah well...  Enough rambling for now...

Yeah, I have to go on yet another interview....You hate the sun don't ya
Steve?