RE: Certification

But you, however, represent only a minute percentage of people (or
companies) that have enough knowledge and experience themselves to be able
to make such judgement calls.

I don't think that not getting certified means you can't get employed. I
also don't think that not getting a degree means you can't get employed
either.

In any case, it's very hard for HR type people to determine the
reliability and credibility of an individual from an interview or
resume. Even people like yourself. This is especially hard for people
moving into the Linux market, because the maximum experience one could
have is 9 years in development, 5 really in commercial support. Those
people, for the most part, are already employed... by people like you.

The community we're addressing now are the people who currently are other
OS admins, students, recent graduates, hobbyists, or even people coming
from an entirely different field of study. What does having 15 years
background in, say, Aircraft maintenance, tell an HR person interviewing
this person for a jr sysadmin position or something. This aircraft
maintenance person has been a LUG member for 5 years, and can show you on
his website his beefy home network. He has no commercial experience. Are
you going to give him a 45k/yr entry level job on faith that he's a fast
learner?

What about the other 99% of the companies whose HR people don't have CS
degrees and who don't use Linux?

There are many angles, and bigger pictures to look at when considering
accreditation of skill.