Re: Network Cabling

On Fri, 18 Aug 2000, KoReE wrote:

> I've never really used any standard cabling color coding.  I've been
> curious if there is a standard of some sort for this.  For example if a
> crossover patch cable has a certain standardized color, etc.

Not to my knowledge, although I have seen some colors that make it clear
that it is a crossover cable should you purchase that cable.

BTW, A crossover cable is wired the 468A standard on one end and the 468B
standard on the other (in case you ever want to make one).

 This may
> sound lame, but I'm just deciding if I'm going to use such a system.  Up
> until now, I've used gray cable and labels because they actually say what
> the cable is and how it's wired :D

No, others have done the same... like red, extreme warning before dorking
with this patch... black instant death when dorking w/ this patch, green,
go ahead, pull me.  Then again, some people just like certain colors... I
have a co-worker that likes to connect all of the computers in his lab w/
blue patches... just cause he likes the color.

Then again, it does make tracing the wire slightly easier if one uses
different colors when running to say a hub... that way if  you need to
pull something from out behind a server, you can have reasonable assurance
about pulling the cable from the hub.

Sean...

Everything you know is wrong,
Just forget the words and sing along.    --Weird Al