Top Ten Talking Points of Linux

Talking Points:  Features and benefits that everyone in the Linux
community agrees to and presents to the newbie population in unison.

Top Ten Talking Points In Linux

After all the responses, I like the following:

(Talking Point List Version 0.02)
1. Linux is stable ----  does not need to reboot to refresh itself, a
production system rarely crashes
2. Freedom / Here to stay ----  Due to Open Source users and vendors are
sure of the staying power of the OS.  (Will not go out of business -
thus not be supported)
3. Flexible ----    Could be a workstation, webserver, firewall, router,
ftp server, proxy server, email server, file server, backup server, and
more right out of the box.
4. Scalable ----   True 32 bit preemptive multitasking, multi-user. -
can run in multi-processor machines. Clustering capability.
5. Streamlined ----  Can use Linux in older systems without major
performance problems. Can use in embedded applications.
6. Secure ----  A properly updated system is very secure. Linux does not
consider allowing external inputs of unknown origin.
7. Bug Detection  ---- With Linux, claims of software fixes are
*independantly verifiable*.  many people are looking at code allowing
for faster fixes.
8. Corporate Backing ----  Increasing numbers of public companies are
supporting and develop Linux services and products.
9. Roaming Users Easy to implement ----  No cumbersome policy
replication.
10. New functionality  ---- Programming may cost someone time or money,
but is then included in the 'collective' source code, for all to
benefit. The original programmer does not have to recode functinality
into new releases.

I took the virus references out... as they are too vague
They all still need to be condensed and become more precise, this still
needs serious work and/or needs to be re-arranged.

Thanks to all of the responses last time (my apologies if I missed you
:):

Arjen Runsink <arjen@technologist.com>
Alain Didierjean <didierj@club-internet.fr>
Weiqi Gao <weiqigao@networkusa.net>