mysql and DBI

I'm trying to install a program that uses the DBI perl module with mysql.
When I run a script that helps install the program, I get the following
message:

noc /usr/src/webtts-3.0/install-scripts # ./tts-install.pl
DBI->connect failed: Can't connect to local MySQL server (2) at
./tts-install.pl line 54
Can't call method "prepare" without a package or object reference at
./tts-install.pl line 61.

This basically is an authentication error from what I've read.  But, I can
use the mysql client utility to connect and browse the database.  I would
just run these sql commands from this script by hand, but, the actual
application also requires a DBI connection.  Any help, or debugging tips
would be much appreciated.  Thanks!

Koree
Koree A. Smith  | Co-Administrator, ameth.org
koree@Ameth.org | http://www.koree.net/
koree@koree.net | Linux Rules!
NT < *IX        | I Corinthians 2:1-5

Nous pensons que Linux représente à terme une menace pour Windows.