Re: Setting up printer

Before I got your reply, I remembered to login as root (duh) and tried,
again.  This time, I accessed Print Tool from Gnome.  No printer was there.
 I selected "Add" and was told

	/dev/lp0:	Not detected
	/dev/lp1:	Not detected
	/dev/lp2:	Not detected

I tried adding a printer, anyway, using each of the above and was told...

	couldn't write file "/dev/lp0": no such device

Then, I got your message...

At 04:38 PM 5/13/00 -0500, you wrote:

>Several things to try here.  You need to check the lpr howto available at
>www.linuxdoc.org
>to make sure your printer "might" be supported.  HP DJ's are spotty in
>support, no thanks to HP.

HP 712C "mostly" is supported.  "Doesn't print plain text".  Driver is
pbm2ppa.

>The best, quick and dirty way to find out where your printer is at is to
>cat some file and just spit it straight out to the dev.  EG:
>
>cat /etc/hosts.allow | /dev/lp0

I got "Permission denied".

>If the printer sits there and does nothing, try the above except with lp1.

Same.

>If it says printtool is already installed, then do the following at the
>command line (you will need to be root to run printtool (btw).
>
>printtool &

I got...

	[1]715
	Application initialization failed:  no display name and no $DISPLAY
environment variable
	Couldn't load bindings.tcl
	Start from control-panel or set environment variable CONTROL_PANEL_LIB_DIR
to the control panel library dir. (normally this is
/usr/lib/rhs/control-panel)
	[1]+ Done printtool

--Chester