Re: Setting up printer

Several things to try here.  You need to check the lpr howto available at
www.linuxdoc.org
to make sure your printer "might" be supported.  HP DJ's are spotty in
support, no thanks to HP.

The best, quick and dirty way to find out where your printer is at is to
cat some file and just spit it straight out to the dev.  EG:

cat /etc/hosts.allow | /dev/lp0

If the printer sits there and does nothing, try the above except with lp1.

If it still does nothing, then there might be a kernel problem...
apparently RH is shipping 6.x distros with something in printing support
broken (I have not seen what people are talking about... it always works
for me, for all three 6.x releases).  Please note, if you get printtool up
and running (as described below), you can test this out with a gui.

Anyway, if you get your printer's light to even flash with this process,
you then know your printer port.

Next you will need to install the printtool rpm from your CD.

rpm -Uvh printtool.....rpm (there is some other stuff in there).

You may need to satisfy some dependencies... go ahead an do that.

If it says printtool is already installed, then do the following at the
command line (you will need to be root to run printtool (btw).

printtool &

Wait a second and you should see the config info.  It is fairly
straightforward from there, and RH does give you the option to print out
test pages.

You may need to play around with drivers... sometimes drivers for other
printers will work, it just depends.

On Sat, 13 May 2000, goesbatu wrote:
> I installed RH 6.1 and have been using Gnome and Netscape.  The problem is
> that the printer won't work.  When trying to print from Netscape, I get
> "lpr: lp: Unknown Printer".  I looked in my manual, and it says to use
> "AnotherLevel/Administration/Printtool" from Gnome.  However, Printtool is
> not there.  This is the first time I've tried using the printer since
> installing Linux.  It's a DeskJet 712C.  Any ideas?

Sean...

Everything you know is wrong,
Just forget the words and sing along.    --Weird Al