No Subject

I know someone out there has probably done this fairly recently, so I'll ask
as opposed to having to think about it for a while

if I am moving from an older drive to a newer drive, I'd fdisk the new drive
the way I wanted it, mount it under /mnt temporarily, and then use tar to
transfer all files to the new drive.

What would be the proper syntax for tar

something like

cd /; tar -cpf - . | (cd /mnt/harddrive; tar -xpf -)

how do I keep it from being an endless loop at /mnt/harddrive  ??

--exclude /mnt/harddrive on the first tar doesn't seem to do anything and it
keeps going and going and going and go...  you get the idea

after that, it is fairly simple, just boot with a kernel image on floppy (or
rdev it if the partition has changed) and run lilo to load the boot loader.

Matthew

Matthew Walker, MCSE
Cornerstone Systems, Inc.
(812) 423-7676 x3015