Re: Sendmail & Auto Responders

Well, for starters, two things to get you going, but may not be the best
way to do it... put a .forward in your home directory.  In that file,
point it to a name that is not used on your box, ie

ralphie@yourdomain.com

Then, in your /etc/aliases file, enter that user name, and a pipe,
presumably to a perl script that you have written that emails back the
person letting them know whatever it is you want them to know.  You could
also pipe your username to the perl script, but I would just as soon muck
around with a .forward file rather than mucking around w/ aliases as root.
It also makes it very easy to enable / disable the autoresponder.  Oh
yeah, if you do go this route, be sure to type newaliases after updating
aliases... otherwise sendmail will not know what to do.

or,

http://www.freshmeat.net/appindex/1998/12/15/913755851.html

I just did a quick search on freshmeat for autoresponder, and the link
above is what it returned.

Good luck,

Sean...

On Thu, 28 Oct 1999, David A. Glass wrote:

> Does anybody know how to make an autoresponder??
>
> I can;t seem to find the right file with this info in it..

Everything you know is wrong,
Just forget the words and sing along.    --Weird Al