Re: Alpha machines for sales cheap

RAT said:
> http://thelinuxstore.com has 533MHz Alpha's with 128MB of RAM for $1599
> (with pre-loaded Linux).  I bought a system from them.  They're kinda
> new but I think they're okay.  I am real tempted to get one of these...

A nice K6-3 or Celeron (or even PII/PIII) would be considerably
faster, at less than half the cost.  If that's the 21164PC (I think
that's what it was called) model, then you'd be lucky to get the
performance of a 300MHz Celeron with it.  (Granted, there are still
very good reasons to buy an Alpha, but just don't expect good
workstation performance from the slower ones.)

(217)698-1694             | Meetings the 4th Tuesday of every month