Certifaction

During the last meeting there was some talk about the value of
certification.  Rich made a good point that it still really depends on your
knowledge, that the companies still want you to take tests and show that
you really do know your stuff.  This is true if you are planning on getting
a real job, with a real company.  If on the other hand you are planning on
freelancing then things might be different.  I am seriously considering
getting my MCSE (gack), since I have worked in the video industry for 10
years (started at 15) and unfortunately the industry is going towards NT
(even AVID is supposedly dropping MAC and going NT).  In this case I will
be freelancing and dealing with companies that don't have any computer
expertise on staff. Having that silly certificate (along with experience,
which really counts) really means something to these clients as they have
no way of judging real computer experience.  Give them two consultants, one
with a pretty piece of paper and one without, and guess which one they will
pick (unless they have a good recommendation, from a trusted
colleague).  The pretty paper will probably win.  I'm not saying that
certificates are a necessity, but depending on where you are planning on
working they might be helpful.

Also I think someone was saying that they had gotten their MCSE (or was it
just looked into?).  If you went through the tests, could you please
contact me off-line <mwehland@webtripper.com> so that I can hear what if
anything you learned. I was a CNE at one point in my life, just got tired
of computers for a while and let that certification lapse.  When I took the
test and classes I really didn't think much of them, but when I used the
knowledge in the real world I found that I actually had learned quite a bit.

Matt Wehland