Quake II sound

Okay, I have searched and searched.  I have been to many, many FAQs
and HOWTOs and evidently, getting sound to work with Quake II is not
a Frequently Asked Question.  I have posted to alt.os.linux.misc and
received no replies at all.  Is this possible?  [Quake II sound, that
is].  I am running Caldera 1.3, FVWM, 2.0.36 and I have a SoundBlaster
16 which accepts and plays sounds [for the mostpart].  How do I get
some sound outta Quake II?!  I'm gettin' creamed in the after-hour
skermishes at work!  :-)