Re: 3dfx and X

Date sent:      	Tue, 2 Mar 1999 19:44:59 -0600 (CST)
From:           	KoReE <koree@squishy.ameth.org>
To:             	SILUG <silug-discuss@silug.org>
Subject:        	3dfx and X
Send reply to:  	silug-discuss@silug.org

> Okay, I'm helping a friend install Redhat on his system.  He's got a
> Voodoo Banshee video card, and X HATES it.  I know it doesn't have a
> driver, but I'd think it'd be able to run in VGA16 or SVGA unaccelerated.
> Any ideas or alternate X servers that anyone knows about.  Thanks!

I think that VGA 16 is your only option.  Did you check XSuSe and
RedHat's X stuff?  They may have a beta driver.  Also, Xig may
have somthing.  Also, you could try the generic vesa framebuffer
console driver and get XFB_dev from Xfree.  Right now I'm using the
Matrox FBcon and XFBDev is really slow compared to the
accelerated servers. But it may work. ;)

		Lee

- Lee Helpingstine
-- sig11@ideacomputers.com
--- http://sig11.ideacomputers.com