Dialup/chat problem?

Recently my Linux box has been having troubles connecting to an AccessUS
dialup.  After looking at the logs and testing with minicom, it seems that
about half the time AccessUS presents me with the username/password sequence
(which the original chat script handles just fine) and the other half of the
time it appears to go to a ppp connection immediately after the CONNECT
message which causes the original chat script to fail.)  A chat script with
the 'name:' 'username' sequence omitted then works (using, I assume, pap
authentication).

The question: is there single chat script that will work with both variations
or AccessUS's login sequence?  What is suspose to happen?  I ?assume? the WIN
machines handle both -- how?