mailrc question

	I am attempting to use mail and Emacs to send e-mail, with only
limited sucess.  I can't e-mail myself but I can e-mail my hotmail
account, albeit ; the Friom line says "root". (ugh).  I ASSUME that
my .mailrc file is the problem, but I can't find any information on it.
Elm, Pine, TkMail, all work fine and I don't really need mail or
Emacs, but I figure it would be a semi-painless way to learn a little
about  Emacs.  Any tips, pointers, or advice.