Re: recompile module problems

Matthew  Walker said:
> I just recompiled the kernel and for some reason I can't get the
> modules to load... I moved the old modules to a .old directory in
> /lib/modules and did the usual "make dep && make clean && make zImage
> && make modules && make modules_install" cp'd the kernel, edit
> lilo.conf, edited it, rebooted.... depmod -a gets run in one of the
> startup scripts
>
> it complains loudly about the versions of the modules don't match the
> running kernel.  I checked all of the boxes in the section dealing
> with modules

(Possible) Easy solution:  Compile a different kernel version.
2.2.0-pre7 is quite nice.  (I took the plunge and upgraded a client's
production router/firewall/etc. box to that over the weekend at the
client's request, and everything appears to be working flawlessly.)

Otherwise, this wouldn't be one of those silly problems with
/lib/modules/preferred, would it?  If that exists, rm it.

(217)698-1694             | Meetings the 4th Tuesday of every month