Re: SCSI Interface

Matt Wehland said:
[...]
> I remember from a while back
> that someone said that they had had problems with adaptec adapters with
> linux (and I have had problems with them and big red),

Adaptec is officially supporting the people working on the drivers for
their cards now, so they *should* be much better now.

> and recomended Diamond Firestar.

That's "Diamond Fireport 40".  (Any Symbios/NCR card is a good choice.)

(All of you who know me, please brace yourselves...)

For what it's worth, I'm honestly not sure I'd bother with SCSI.  This
is coming from a guy who's been trying *very* hard to have an all-SCSI
system for almost 4 years.

Ultra DMA IDE drives are almost half the price of decent SCSI drives,
and they are damn near as fast.  They also don't use nearly as much
CPU as older IDE drives/controllers, as I understand it.

The IBM drives are *very* nice, and *very* cheap.  The 8.4 gigs are
$188 (5400 RPM) or $205 (7200 RPM) right now, according to PriceWatch
(http://www.pricewatch.com/).  Both have 512k cache, where most drives
only have 128k.  I've had a lot of luck with the 6.4 gig, 5400 RPM,
IBM drive in the dual...

> Also does anyone have any experience with a company called Buycomp?  They
> seem to have real good prices on drives, and I was thinking of trying them.

Several people I know have mentioned that they have good prices.  I'm
not sure if any of them have ordered from them, but at least I haven't
heard anything bad yet.  :-)  (I tend to just order from one of the
cheaper places listed on PriceWatch.)

(217)698-1694             | Meetings the 4th Tuesday of every month