Help Partition problem?

Hi All,

        I am in a strange problem, Hope you will help me?,

I bought a new PC, with 4.2GB HDD, I DOS partitioned the disk into two
drives, ie into C and D drives, 2GB each.Then I loaded W95, SR2 with
FAT32,msoffice..etc on C, (D is also FAT32), Now I wanted to install linux,
I tried using FIPS on C, So that I can make some space for Linux,

   But FIPS didnt run, gave an error that my system no of C of  HDD is not
valid. Its telling that it should be 4 or 6, but mine is showing as "0Bh"?

Now am Thinking that, since my D drive is emty , I will zip the whole C
drives content into a single file (*.zip), It will around 600MB,
Then I will move that zip file into my D drive.

Then I will run the FDISK to partition the C drive into two, ie One for my
W95 and other  for linux ,
(I think this will erase data on C drive , and D drive remains unaffected?)

Then I will install the linux, If everything goes fine , I will copy the ZIP
file from D drive to the DOS partition of the C drive then I restore the
Windows.

    IS ALL THIS POSSIBLE? OR IS THERE ANY OTHER SOLUTIONS PLEASE HELP ME,
Thanks in advance.

With regards
Lokesh Babu M.