Re: Corel Netwinder

On Tue, 22 Sep 1998, Kara Pritchard wrote:

> Hi guys!
>
> I'd appreciate it if you'd take a second to help me with some statistics
> regarding Corel's Netwinder.  If you don't know what the NetWinder is,
> visit http://www.corelcomputer.com/products/linux/index.htm.
>
> Please answer the following:
>
> -Would you be interested in a presentation of Corel's NetWinder?

Very much.  Corel has lost a bunch of money in the last few years.  I hope
that the NetWinder and Linux ports can save the company.  Their stock is very
depressed.  It might be a good buy IF Netwinder and Linux are the wave of the
future.

> -Have you seen a NetWinder before?  When/Where?

Just the photos and info you and Steve brought back from NC and the stuff on
their web pages.

> -Would you be interested in purchasing a NetWinder for personal use?

As usual, my purchases are price sensitive.  I would, however, like to have
one.  This house really needs something other then Intel on the network.

> -Would you be interested in purchasing a NetWinder for business use?

Well, I really don't have such a business.  After the initial purchase and
evaluation, perhaps they could solve some problems for some businesses I know.
I don't really imagine myself in the position of a reseller, but I could
support such machines and the network for a suitable amount of money.  It
would be a plus all the way around.  I suspect such a network would cost less
than a similar Intel/Novell or Intel/NT network.  Customer would save money.

 > > -How many NetWinders would you consider purchasing?

Initially, one; but see above.

> > -Do you know anyone who would be interested in the NetWinder?  How Many?

I could imagine a two or three around Salem with people I know.  For example,
one place (in the last week) just bought five $49 Alphas (stripped), and is
attempting to configure with linux for placement in a local coffee shop turned
"Internet Cafe"  The NetWinders would have done nicely there also.  These
people would love to have NetWinders to evaluate if the price were attractive.

> > -Other Comments:

Good luck on your quest to obtain Netwinders.  Am most anxious to see/own one.
I don't know how much of the specific comments you are going to pass on to
Corel, but it is worth noting to them that I do have a CNE and am
(reluctantly) working on the MCSE.  I mention this only to remind the people
at Corel that while it may appear on the surface that the people in the
'clubs' (Luci and Silug) may appear to be playing with a hobby, these people,
in fact, do networking.  They are the ones who specify and design the networks
that work -- (the exception is, of course, the networks designed by
vice-presidents who think NT is the wave of the future)

 > > Thank-you for your time.  This survey is not for Corel Computer.
It
is > for statistics that will help me obtain demo unit(s) for our group(s), as