Error on install

Well, I'm trying to install Linux on this new PII400 that landed in my lap
and I'm having problems on the install. It's debian, and I know not many
of you guys use it (that's why I'm trying it out).  I have a Fireport 40
in the machine right now and when it goes to load the driver for it,  it
bombs out with this nice error mesage:

ncr53c875J-0: command processing resumed
ncr53c875J-0: ERROR (81:0) blah blah
ncr53c875J-0: script cmd = 721000000
ncr53c875J-0: regdump: [hex numbers]
ncr53c875J-0: have to clear files.
ncr53c875J-0: resetting, command processing suspended for 2 seconds
ncr53c875J-0: restart (scsi restart)
ncr53c875J-0: enabling clock multiplier
ncr53c875J-0: copying script fragments into the on-board RAM

and this keeps repeating over and over...anyone have  a clue?