Re: Ok, how about NFS clients?

Erich Schroeder said:
> For a while I was having good luck with my win95 users and samba.  But now
> I'm finding that several of the machines can no longer browse, or find,
> the unix machines running Samba. (I am shocked to learn that the MS
> network is flakey!). I'm wondering if anyone knows of a free NFS client
> for 95/NT? I know of the TrueGrid NFS server
> (http://www.truegrid.com/nfs.html), but that doesn't have a client as
> far as I can tell.

To be honest, I wouldn't even dream of putting an NFS client on 95 or
NT.  They just aren't unix-like enough for NFS to make any kind of
sense.  (Not to mention the fact that NFS has enough problems
anyway...)

If you are having problems with samba, I'd recommend setting up a
recent version of samba as a domain controller/master browser/etc.  If
you aren't already using DHCP to configure the Windows boxes, set up
dhcpd too.  If you do all that, everything should work better (because
you'll be handling Windows boxes "the Windows way").  You also benefit
from some level of centralized administration.

(217)698-1694             | Meetings the 4th Tuesday of every month