Re: Ultra DMA IDE vs. SCSI 2 or 3

On Mon, 30 Mar 1998, Kara Pritchard wrote:

> Subject: Re: Ultra DMA IDE vs. SCSI 2 or 3
>

> Richard,
>
> What would you use a dual-boot server for anyway?  What you will be using
> it for totally changes what type of hardware/OS/etc. that you will need,
> regardless of the load.  (But you already knew that :P)

	No won't be dual boot.  Most likely an NT server initially, maybe
Linux down the road (way down the road).
	I should have made this more clear, but the point of the question
was not the OS, but more the hardware and the various
bottlenecks/limitations that will be encountered with each.

> cheaper, but so is the performance.  If you are expecting a heavy load,

	How so?  If you read the numbers, Mode 4 IDE drives go at 16MB/s,
whereas SCSI usually top out at 10MB/s, right?  If you want the higher
performance out of the SCSI, don't you have to use mirroring/striping?

> I'd surely try to go with the fastest hardware to prevent hardware and
> network failures down the road.  If your hardware can't keep up with your
> load, then you will have to upgrade later and end up spending more $$
> than you started with.

	Exactly.  The problem that we are running into is that everyone
sings the praises of SCSI and swears that it is the only way to go, but
there are a few of us that aren't so sure (myself being one of them).
I was just hoping to get some opinions and tidbits of info that I should
take into account.  Personal experiences, general rules to follow, etc.
	Thanks.