C stuff

	What would be the equivalent in ANSI C or C++ to the following PERL line:

	$input = `ls -l /home/httpd/html`;

	I've tried:

 	input[1000] = system("ls -l /home/httpd/html");

	but it actually sends the output to the screen instead of the assigning
	the directory listing to the variable. And I've tried several data types
	for input to no avail.

	Basically, all I need to do is get a list of the files in a directory
	and assign them to an array so I can use them one at a time.

	Thanks.

	Bill Dunn