Re: VPN and SSH

Matthew  Walker said:
> I sent this to easug-discuss, but somehow I doubt I'd get a reponse
> there, so here goes...

Well, you've been wrong before.  ;-)

(This is what I replied on easug-discuss, for reference...)
> if I ssh into the remote box and do a /usr/sbin/pppd, ppp fires up...
> if I do a ssh foo.bar.baz /usr/sbin/pppd it gives me the error :
>
> /usr/sbin/pppd: This system lackes kernel support for PPP.  This could
> be because the PPP kernel module is not loaded, or because the kernel
> is not configured for PPP.  See the README.linux file in the ppp-2.3.3
> distribution

Try

    ssh -t foo.bar.baz /usr/sbin/pppd

From the man page:

       -t     Force pseudo-tty allocation.  This can be  used  to
              execute  arbitary screen-based programs on a remote
              machine, which can be very useful e.g. when  imple-
              menting menu services.

BTW, that error is pppd's generic "something isn't set up right"
error.  Obvious, huh?  :-)  (Kinda like mount's old "wrong fs type,
device already mounted, or other error" message.)

(217)698-1694             | Meetings the 4th Tuesday of every month