Re: can't mount cdrom

On Wed, 17 Dec 1997, Mike Sullivan wrote:

> > I am not very good a guessing your system,...
>
> It is a Dimension XPS Pro200n (Dell). Can I damage anything
> by guessing ?

Nope, you will simply get the same message that the device doesn't exist if
you guess wrong.

You didn't tell me, do you have under dos a C: only (guess /dev/hdb) or both a
C: and a D: (guess /dev/hdc first, then /dev/hdb next). Both the C: and D:
might suggest two hard drives in which case an ide cdrom would become hdc, or
more likely one hard drive with two partitions.

Note: if you mount -t iso9660 /dev/hdb /mnt/cdrom where /dev/hdb is actually a
hard drive, it will probably complain about the wrong type of file system
since your hard drives should be mounted with either -t vfat  or -t msdos
(win95 or dos) or cannot be mounted if you have a 'really new' version of
win95.  [I don't know just what their new file system is called -- I don't
really keep up on win95.]

Alan