Lilo: Sorry don't know how to handle device 0x0100

What does "Sorry don't know how to handle device 0x0100" mean from Lilo?

The story:
Machine: 486DX33; small ide drive; AHA1542 scsi with 1 gig drive and CDROM; 16
meg memory; Official RH5.0 (boxed set); System Commander as boot manager.
I fdisked the scsi drive -- totally clean, and installed RH5.0.  Used both
Druid and linux fdisk (multiple install tries) to create boot partition and
swap partition on scsi drive.  Asked that the boot record be written to
/dev/sda1 as I was using System commander.  [This approach worked on my other
machine with the 4.0 boxed set.]  System commander returns the error
"Non-System disk or disk error. Replace...."

In an effort to fix the thing, I booted the provided disks in rescue mode and:
	mknod /dev/sda b 8 0
	mknod /dev/sda1 b 8 1
	mount -t ext2 /dev/sda1 /mnt   {the file system from the install
		looked good and intact}
	checked with fdisk that /sda1 was marked active
	cd /
	mkdir boot
	cp /mnt/boot/boot.b /boot
	cp /mnt/etc/lilo.conf /etc
	cd /mnt/sbin
	lilo

Lilo returned with the following messages:
	Reading boot sector form /dev/sda1
	Warning: /dev/sda1 is not the first disk
	Merging with /boot/boot.b
	Sorry, don't know how to handle device 0x0100

Now what?  How do I boot the thing?  I have tried copying the stuff from the
cdrom to a dos partition and using loadlin, but the scsi support is in a
module and the kernel can't find the root partition /dev/sda1.

Suggestions?

Thanks
Alan