Re: Restoring VMs from backup

I should have shared this solution from the Fedora User's mail list. The embedded screen shot has delayed its posting while a moderator approves it.

--Doc

On Mon, 2019-09-16 at 08:54 +0800, Ed Greshko wrote:
On 9/16/19 7:16 AM, Robert G (Doc) Savage via users wrote:
I had a major crash on my F30 laptop a couple of weeks ago. I was able
to boot to emergency mode and use ddrescue to make forensic copies of
all four partitions to an external drive.

After re-installing F30 I can't seem to get five VMs copied back and
working. Is a metadata file for the Virtual Machine Manager stored
somewhere apart from where the VMs were stored that I need to bring
back first?

If you are speaking of qemu VM's, have you checked /etc/libvirt/qemu for the corresponding xml file?

Thank you Ed, This was exactly what I was looking for. From the backup mounted on /mnt1:

Fedora release 30 (Thirty)
Monday - September 16, 2019  12:09:42 CDT
[root@puma:0] /mnt1/etc/libvirt/qemu
# ls -al
total 48
drwx------. 3 root root 4096 Sep 16 01:21 .
drwx------. 6 root root 4096 Jun 20 11:49 ..
-rw-------. 2 root root 5908 Jun  5 21:28 CentOS7.0.xml
-rw-------. 2 root root 5908 Jun  5 21:28 CentOS7.6.xml
-rw-------. 1 root root 3941 Mar 16  2019 Fedora29-MATE.xml
-rw-------. 1 root root 5920 Jul 31 15:55 centos7.0.xml
-rw-------. 1 root root 5931 Jun  3 19:29 fedora-rawhide.xml
drwx------. 3 root root 4096 Jun 20 11:49 networks

I rsync'd this whole directory to /etc/libvirt/qemu/, rebooted, and started Virtua Machine Manager:

Exactly as it was before the original F30 crash. This is going into my personal cheat sheets. :-)

--Doc Savage
  Fairview Heights IL

--
If simple questions can be answered with a simple google query then why are there so many of them?