Kernel v4.12 how-to -- DON'T DO IT

I ran across this on Slashdot a couple of days ago and decided to give it
a try on my ThinkPad CentOS 7 laptop. It installs the latest v4.12 kernel
on a CentOS 7 machine.

https://www.ostechnix.com/install-linux-kernel-4-12-centos-ubuntu/

The installation runs flawlessly. It does not change the default boot
order, so in order to boot the v4.12 kernel you have to interrupt Grub at
the opening menu and arrow to it before proceeding.

The problem is it locked up my laptop tighter than a tick. I had to do a
hard power cycle to regain control. By the original 3-year cycle calendar,
RHEL8 and CentOS 8 should have been released last month (June 2017), but
since the RHEL6 / CentOS 6 cycle was four years long, we probably won't
see RHEL8 or CentOS 8 until this time *next* year.

Oh well.

--Doc Savage