Why we all love Microsoft

I bought a Lenovo G500 laptop for my girlfriend's daughter who's a freshman at McKendree this fall. Naturally it came with Windows 8. They said it can be downgraded to Windows 7, but our good friends (?) at Microsoft are [deliberately] making this as difficult as possible.

I called Lenovo. After waiting for 10 minutes on hold, I was told I needed to call Microsoft to get a Windows 7 Pro installation image. I did, and after another 15 minutes on hold I got through to Tech Support. He guided me [in halting English] to a web site where I was able to download a 64-bit Win 7 Pro SP1 iso image. When I asked if I would need an activation key, he said "Of course". I would have to *buy* one from Customer Support. Would I please hold while he transferred me to Customer Support?

After another 10 minutes on hold, Customer Support answered up. I told him I was looking for a FREE activation key for my FREE downgrade from Windows 8 Pro to Windows 7 Pro. he cheerfully told me I would have to call Microsoft at another 800 number on Monday morning. Apparently they only work M-F.

And that's when I lost it.

--Doc