Re: First Wednesday ...

I've been using the GPIO pins on the beagle board to play with DC circuits– making sensors and interacting with ICs (like a SIPO shift-register).
The beagle bone is really cool, because in theory, I should be able to write a simple javascript application using node.js as a backend and do really low-level things like control that IC. I haven't gotten it to work yet, but hopefully I can get it figured out today… I don't actually know hardly anything about electronics, so I could be doing any number of things wrong. At work we use Arduinos, actually in combination with ICs like the one I'm playing with, so that we can control chassis LEDs on servers in a way that will persist between various hardware revisions where we might otherwise see them acting differently (and thus freak out our end-users). We use them for all sorts of fun stuff, and I figured I'd better start playing with micro-controllers and stuff of their ilk since I'm working with them and thus have people at my disposal who know far more about them than I, from whom I can learn a ton about them.

-- kyle pointer