Uses for an old netbook?

Hello to all, I happened to be given an old netbook Acer Aspire One with Intel Atom N450 (1.66GHz single core) 1GB RAM and a 160GB HDD that doesn't seem to be too well off according to SMART and the sound of it running.  The hard drive is easily replaced since I'll have an extra 500GB and 250GB 2.5" drives sitting around soon and the RAM can stay.  My current plan is to start with a wiped drive and then look at installing something light that still has decent hardware support, my current picks are Lubuntu, which I run on a minecraft server so I have some GUI for when my terminal skills are lacking or I feel lazy, Xubuntu to keep with the -buntu family, I might look into puppy linux but never had a real like of it in the past.  Anyone have ideas for what to do with the netbook or what to run on it to keep the GUI as minimal as possible but still usable enough that even someone like my English major housemate could figure it out if need be?

Regards,
Austin R. Range
--
"You must control your future by taking command of your present, and fixing and learning from your past."

"When history is forgotten people don't realize when it repeats."