installed Fedora 18 on my laptop

I installed Fedora 18 on my Dell XPS laptop yesterday.  The installer was a bit confusing and I absolutely hate the partitioning options.  Once it was installed though, it ran fine.  I do have some minor complaints though.  The brightness controls on my laptop didn't work until I removed the "nomodeset" option from grub2. No biggie. The other thing that's really annoying is that my laptop fan is loud and spinning at full speed the entire time I'm booted into Fedora.  This doesn't happen when I boot into Windows 7 (dual-boot setup).  My battery also drains about twice as fast when booted into Fedora than into Windows 7.  I think this has something to do with my video.  I have a dedicated Nvidia chipset, but my processor also has the embedded intel video graphics.  I think I read somewhere a while ago that the Opteron function of the Nvidia chipset could not easily be turned off in Linux.  Windows only turns on the advanced graphics when needed, but Linux tries to use it all then time.  Even so, I *think* it is using the intel video for graphics.  I have tried installing the Nvidia driver several times with several Linux distros and it has always ended up with a broken boot process.  This laptop is less than 2 years old, by the way. I had to uninstall all the nvidia crap just to get the system to completely boot again. Aside from those minor quirks, it's running pretty well.

Kevin