Re: CentOS 5.5 in VMware Wkstn 7.1.3

On Mon, 2011-02-07 at 09:14 -0600, Nathaniel R. Reindl wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 7, 2011 at 8:34 AM, Robert G. (Doc) Savage
> <dsavage@peaknet.net> wrote:
> > (Answered your last question separately.)
>
> I saw. :)
>
> > The trouble I'm having is the ruthless way CentOS 5.5 is being installed
> > under VMware Workstation 7.1.3. I get no opportunity to review and
> > change the partitioning scheme. I suspect the culprit is VMware
>
> This is the part that I find horribly bizarre, but I don't have any
> experience with modern VMware products outside of ESXi and
> vCenter/vSphere, so I really can't be helpful here, I'm afraid.
>
> > It's the grow and resize steps I've never done. What would be the tools
> > and syntaxes to do that?
>
> Since you're not using LVM, fdisk and resize2fs (sorry, got the name
> backwards the first time around; I don't do this often enough!) are
> plenty fine.  For the benefit of others watching this list, the trick
> with using fdisk is that, when recreating the deleted partition, you
> must keep the initial partition boundary the same while moving the
> final boundary out as required.
>
> Past that, a dance with resize2fs with no parameters but the qualified
> device name of the partition (e.g., `resize2fs /dev/sda2`) will give
> you expected results.  Bang against it with e2fsck and then remount
> it.
>
> With your particular situation, the steps involved are exactly that.
> If you require further guidance, I'd be more than happy to lend a hand
> where I can.

Nate,

Here's the proposed sequence:
1. log in as root in runlevel 3
2. mkdir /home-temp
3. mv /home/user /home-temp/
4. use fdisk to remove /home extended partition (/dev/sda4 & /dev/sda5)
5. swapoff to disable swap partition (/dev/sda3)
6. use fdisk to remove swap partition
7. use fdisk to create a new swap partition from cyls 3007-3263
    >> note: this is the same size (in cyls) as 516-772
8. write partitions & quit fdisk, rewriting the tables
9. swapon to enable new swap partition (/dev/sda3) at top of disk
10. resize2fs /dev/sda2 to grow / filesystems up to start of swap
11. mv /home-temp /home

Will the virtual machine become unstable at step 5 with no swap?
Will resize2fs safely grow /dev/sda2 up to the beginning of /dev/sda3?
While mounted?

--Doc